Neurology is the branch of medicine concerned with the study and treatment of disorders of the nervous system. The nervous system is a complex, sophisticated system that regulates and coordinates body activities.
The neurologist treats disorders that affect the brain, spinal cord, and nerves, such as:
- Cerebrovascular disease, such as stroke.
- Demyelinating diseases of the central nervous system, such as multiple sclerosis.
- Headache disorders
- Infections of the brain and peripheral nervous system
- Movement disorders, such as Parkinson’s disease.
- Neurodegenerative disorders, such as Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, and Amyotrophic.
- Lateral Sclerosis (Lou Gehrig’s disease)
- Seizure disorders, such as epilepsy.
- Spinal cord disorders